Imposition of Ashes
A PRAYER FOR LENT Father God, help us never forget that Jesus knew his time was coming. The rest of us pass blissfully through life knowing we will die “someday.” Jesus knew the time was near, yet he continued to show love and faith. He continually put himself on the line, when most of us would have run away in fear. God, during this time of Lent, give us just one small taste of what it must have been like for him. Help us appreciate the great love your Son had for us — a love that kept him living for others, even when he knew he was going to die. Amen
Read this month’s newsletter by clicking “HERE”
• Governance Board meeting tonight, Tuesday, Nov. 27 at 5:00 PM – Potluck Dinner; year-end projects and planning; all are welcome to participate.
• Sign-up sheet on table (next to kitchen) for the Egeler Benefit Dinner on Fri., Dec. 7 – 5-7 PM. Need volunteers to help set up, serve and clean up. Your help would be appreciated.
• Now that most of the snowbirds have left for warmer climates, we need volunteers to USHER. Please let Pete know as soon as possible!
• The Giving Tree is up! Mittens requests are for: Walmart, Target and Meijer “gift cards,” and Meijer and EZ Mart “gas cards.” These will be distributed to local families. Your donations will be appreciated. Deadline for giving: Dec. 16
Get ready for an action-packed 5-day super hero training camp where kids discover their strength in God! Hero Central VBS prepares kids to Do good! Seek peace and go after it! Ps. 31:14B (CEB). Kids at VBS Hero Central learn that God’s heroes have:
- Heart (Samuel Anoints David)
- Courage (Abigail)
- Wisdom (Jesus Goes to the Temple)
- Hope (Beatitudes)
- Power (Pentecost)
Grab your cape and get ready to fly with epic music, spectacular science, crafty crafts, heroic recreation, and fantastic Bible stories!
VBS will be open at Empire United Methodist Church, 10500 Michigan St, Empire at 9:00 AM to Noon every day, June 25 – 29.
Empire United Methodist Church, St. Philip Neri Catholic Church and Glen Lake Community Reformed Church are sponsoring this community VBS event.
Contact Laurie Taghon at email@example.com – Empire United Methodist Church; or call Tina Dunphey – St. Philip Neri at 835-0518; Gretchen Schwaiger – Glen Lake Community Reform Church at 334-4537 to register your child.
Mini-Retreat scheduled for May 8
Everyone is cordially invited to attend a mini-retreat day on Tuesday, May 8 at 11:00 AM, for a time of prayer, a program, a craft and fellowship. Darlene Logston Bonner will present a program on the US2 Missionary work she has done. She also has become active as an Origami Owl jewelry designer and will offer a “jewelry bar,” splitting the profits to raise funds for the UMW.
After Darlene’s presentation, Kay Coombs will lead a craft project – painting pine cones for table decorations.
Please bring prepped pine cones to the meeting.
To prepare pine cones:
• Fill a 5-gallon bucket 1/2 full of water, add 1 cup vinegar for each gallon of water (kills bugs, etc.)
• Soak pine cones 30 to 45 min. stirring every 5 to 10 minutes.
• Remove pine cones, place on towel to dry for 2-3 days or dry in a 200 Degree oven for 30 minutes.
• Spray with acrylic Mod Podge, keeps pine cones from becoming brittle. • Bring paint brush and pine cones to meeting. Kay Coombs will provide paint
Sunday – February 11 – after worship – PASTA POTLUCK – Come, join the fun and fellowship – Bring favorite pasta dish or tossed salad w/dressing or dessert or rolls/bread.
Here it is! The December Empire UMC “Beacon” Newsletter!
Page 1 of 3